Thursday, May 27, 2010

Stretch that RM... the sequel

In my earlier post, I wrote on this subject.

To stretch the RM as thin as I possibly can.

Well, what do you know?

I can actually do it and I have been hit with regrets ever since. Mana daknya!.. I realised that if I actually plan my expenditure properly and do not splurge on things I do not need, I can save A LOT on each paycheque. How much? Let's put it this way, I could go for Umrah each year and throw in an oversea holiday or two in between, that's how much I could have saved each year!!!! Haih! double haih! Too late for regrets already.

Before I went for Haj, I sort of put all my finances in order, because you do not know kan what will happen there. What I did was to pay off all my debts and start to live on cash. Since October last year, I have been living cash basis. Although I still carry credit cards around, I do not use them unless I know I have the money to pay for it and I would normally pay immediately, not waiting for the statement, thank you online banking!

I cannot even start to express the feeling of living a debt free life. Its refreshing, its liberating, its freedom, its beyond explanation. I have been tied up to credit card debts and housing loan before this.

In my previous life, I splurge without care and normally would be spending my future income away, thus a very high credit card debt. After watching Suze Orman, either her own show on CNBC or on Oprah and Till Debt Do Us Part by Gail Vaz-Oxlade regularly, I was determined that I should change. That's how I got started. My first project was to sell off the apartment I bought in KD, I was renting it out but the rent payment were erratic. Alhamdulillah, the process took less than 4 months to finalise. I sold the house to the first couple who viewed it. I doa and doa to make the process go smoothly and without obstacles and Alhamdulillah, my prayers were answered. We signed the S&P in April and I got my final payment in July. I used part of the proceeds to take my parents and youngest brother to Umrah and used the balance to pay off all my credit cards debt. Phuh!

So there, I urge everyone to try this. Its quite impossible for some to live a totally debt free life due to home mortgages and car loans, but at least try to limit your debt to these two alone. If you only need 1 or 2 cars, why have 3. If you need only 1 house, why have 2, 3 or four and be a slave to them. Most importantly eradicate credit card debts! If I can do it, anybody can. InsyaAllah. If you have not watch Suze or Gail before, please do... They will not be telling you anything new, you can bet on it but they will open up your eyes, very wide in my case.

Okay, Maknjang, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment