Saturday, May 15, 2010

Another Goodbye

April 2000 was when it started. He was talked into reviving the equestrian event and he succumbed to it. I got myself pulled into it halfway into the project when they started talking about money. When I saw her the first time, I knew why. No need to put in the details as it may falls into the "fitnah" category. But yes, we knew why.

With zero experience in horses let alone organising an event of one, I was suddenly in the middle of it all having to man the Secretariat. Only Salwa and I struggling like mad women, we were. We hardly eat nor sleep that whole week. I remembered the both of us doing the prize money until 3am and have to be at the venue at 6am. The secretariat were located away from where the event were held and there was no food at all where we were. We can't leave the Secretariat because of the stream of people coming and going, so we ended up not eating! The first time we held the event, we did not even had the chance to see any showjumping or have the slightest idea of what dressage was all about. What we did all day was, looking for staplers, pen, pencil, papers, strings, give out money to buy this and that, give away prize money, photostate this and that and attend to inquiries of things we hardly knew about but somehow we sailed through!

That same year in September, we held the second event, this time more people were involved and at least now we knew what to prepare so it got less chaotic but this time we had more participation, so there we went again, no sleep, no eat... working like mad women!

From then till now, we have had more than 10 similar events already and every year we improvise until it came to a stage that we were already on autopilot. Just push the on button and we knew what to. I was in charge of the whole operations (or at least, I think so!) until 2 years ago... but I was still doing all the more important things, while others take the credits, but I don't mind.. I really do not mind. I did not do this for the glory of it, I just did it because I have to do it. Part of my job.

The event is going on right now, here where I work. But this time, I am not involved at all. I feel kind of sad as I was one of the pioneer. But what to do, ayam makan, itik sudu... They felt that have learned enough and they can do better than I ever was, who needs an old hag anymore, anyway?

I am leaving in a few minutes and I am not coming tomorrow... So long, farewell its time to say good bye... adieu adieu....

No comments:

Post a Comment